The Data Scientist role is primarily intended to apply aviation domain knowledge and various visual and quantitative modeling techniques and analytical methods to business problems within the aviation industry. The Data Scientist also works directly with internal business partners and Airline Customers to scope business problems and communicate the business case for using analytics to enable better decision-making. As a member of the Analytics Team this position involves working closely with business partners, team members and the broader Boeing as a whole; the Data Scientist plays a leadership role in discovering and driving forward opportunities Analytics and for Boeing Vancouver Labs. The Data Scientist role has three key focus areas: 1) lead and execute on the application of analytical methods to address business problems 2) take a leadership role in enabling continuous growth and application of aviation domain knowledge, analytics expertise and professional conduct within the team3) effectively manager various complex stakeholder relationships and lead business development efforts for the team. The Data Scientist role reports directly to the Analytics Management layer. The Analytics group as a whole reports to Director, Advanced Analytics.
What You Will Do...
Application of analytical methods to business problems
- Evaluate and validate business unit strategy and business context. Lead in the definition of analytical solution that will address client’s business problem. Lead development of business cases for solving a problem.
- Lead cross functional teams to perform detailed analysis work using appropriate data, tools and develop models at an expert level to achieve analysis and business goals.
- Responsible for execution and ensuring project team’s execution of the end-to-end pipeline of an analytics project: problem definition; data gathering, cleaning and preparation; choosing the best fit methodology, modelling and analysis, validation and verification of models and analysis, visualization and storytelling of results, recommendation presentation, feedback gathering and analysis improvement, documentation and prompt reporting
- As required, responsible for scope definition and delivery of specific statements of work to agreed scope, budget, timeline and quality. Coordinate with resource management to acquire required skills and resources required for project.
- As necessary, partner with Product Development roles (Product Management, Product Owner, Scrum Master, Architect, Software Developer, Quality Assurance and other) to lead cross functional teams in the deployment of model/tool into client application or operations. Construct value analyses of potential solutions and support product management, marketing and funding activities related to analytical development and solutions.
- Operate consistently with established Analytics group technical, project management, and quality best practices.
Continuous growth and application of aviation domain knowledge, analytics expertise
- Proactively and continuously improve own and team’s level of expertise in the aviation domain, analytical methods and tools, and professional business conduct (e.g., communications, effective meeting management, stakeholder management, project management, etc.).
- Contribute to team growth and development through the sharing of knowledge with colleagues, for example, by conducting learning activities driven by his/her own initiatives, staying in coordination with other team initiatives, conducting trip and conference report outs, etc.
- Have clear areas of expertise recognized by team, and lead the effort in improving the overall team’s knowledge and proficiency in those areas of expertise.
- Support in the development of our junior analysts by providing feedback and coaching to team members and management as required on project deliverables, identifying training and development opportunities and mentoring them on technical skills, domain knowledge & professional business conduct.
- Exhibit and propagate Boeing Leadership Values.
- Initiate and champion organizational changes through tactical behavior.
Stakeholder management and business development:
- Perform client management duties and maintain client communications. Recognize, understand and address motivations of stakeholders. Effectively manage complex stakeholder relationships.
- Proactively identify and pursue additional opportunities on existing projects and lead new business development activities for the analytics team.
Ph.D. in Operations Research, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or similar educational specialization, plus typically 4 years of relevant work experience. Master’s Degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or similar educational specialization, plus typically 7 years relevant work experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Domain knowledge in the aviation industry is preferred.
- Proven experience delivering significant, value-creating projects leveraging advanced analytics
- Experience working in various organizations and interfacing with Customers
- Applied knowledge and/or expert-level proficiency with 3 or more of the following:
- Statistics, Forecasting & Time-series Analysis
- Mathematical Optimization
- Data Management
- Proficiency with big data analysis technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, Pig, Hive, etc.)
- Other Analytics sub-disciplines and methodologies
- Ability to accomplish results through employees who exercise significant latitude and independence in their assignments. Often heads a centralized functional activity.
- Skilled in advising a unit regarding tasks, projects and operations. Actively involved in daily operations only when required to meet schedule or resolve complex problems.
- Ensures that projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Frequent contacts with internal personnel and outside customer representatives concerning operations, scheduling or specific phases of projects or contracts.